Sunday, October 4, 2015

Blessed Hope

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for , the conviction of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

It is spring here in beautiful Mpumalanga, South Africa, and my favorite season. Gorgeous flowers are blooming everywhere--on the ground, on the bushes, and on the trees. Everything is beginning to get green after a long, drab, brown winter. However, I've been watching one enormous tree just on the other side of our fence.

This tree towers over the others, a giant over all the other lush burgeoning greenery. My heart has been sad as this tree alone has remained bare, a stark image echoing the feelings of hopelessness I sometimes feel faced with hard trials in my own life and the lives of so many others for whom I care deeply.  

For several months now, I've pestered my husband John about this tree, asking countless times if he thinks it's dead. I'm not sure what answer I expect, but deep down I know I wanted him to give me some hope that those magnificent, hulking gray branches would spring back to life. His answer was always the same stoic, "Just wait and see." And each time, a tiny spark of hope pierced through my forlorn disbelief.  

JOY! Yesterday John encouraged me to look up, and brilliant yellow blossoms have begun to burst out all over!

And just as my husband's steadfast faith in the resurrection of this tree did not disappoint, so the hope we have in Jesus is the anchor for my soul.

For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him. Psalm 62:5

...in the hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began...Titus 1:2

...waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ...Titus 2:13




No comments:

Post a Comment