Saturday, August 8, 2015

The Master's Voice


My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27

Many years ago I learned a lesson that I have put into daily practice. I wish I could give credit to whomever imparted this valuable nugget, but my memory is not what it used to be! Anyway, the analogy was given of a soldier receiving his marching orders from his commanding officer first thing in the morning. So I began asking my Commanding Officer, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, for His direction for the day every morning before I get out of bed. And He is faithful—if we ask, He answers. Many days I receive sweet encouragement, or needed chastisement, or just a word like “hope” or “love” or “boldness.” And then there are those rarer days when I get something so specific that makes absolutely NO sense at the time, but as the day progresses, I can only marvel that truly the King of Kings loves me enough to guide me in those still small hours of the morning.

A couple of mornings ago, this was the case. On the schedule for the day was teaching two Bible study groups. One of these groups is one to whom I regularly minister. The other was one I'd only met once, several months ago, and they had invited me back for this day. Since it was only my second time to meet with the latter group, I had definite ideas about what I should teach. Yet the Lord kept persistently nudging me towards another topic, completely unsuitable in my opinion! Since I have learned the hard way that it pays to listen to His All-Wise counsel, I acceded, through still with grave misgivings.

Of course He was right. I learned en route to the second group's location, with about 10 minutes to spare, that I had misunderstood what the invitation was all about. Instead of just a regular Bible study, I was to be the guest of honor and main speaker at a special Women's Month event with a large gathering of ladies. And of course the message God Himself had patiently given me was exactly right for the occasion, and at the end, many precious women were on their knees and in tears repenting and turning back to Him with all their hearts. I am NOT a powerful speaker, but the Holy Spirit is! SO grateful that He leads me and guides me and even miraculously uses me!
 
If only I would have consulted him on my wardrobe! I was a little underdressed in my simple blouse and skirt amongst all the beautifully garbed South African women!

No comments:

Post a Comment